(revision) 30. "Graphene nanopattern as a universal epitaxy platform for single-crystal membrane production and defect reduction"
Hyunseok Kim†, Sangho Lee†, Jiho Shin†, Menglin Zhu, Marx Akl, Ne Myo Han, Kuangye Lu, Celesta S. Chang, Jun Min Suh, Ki Seok Kim, Yanming Zhang, Chanyeol Choi, Heechang Shin, He Yu, Yuan Meng, Seung-Il Kim, Seungju Seo, Hyun S. Kum, Jae-Hyun Lee, Jong-Hyun Ahn, Sang-Hoon Bae*, Jinwoo Hwang*, Yunfeng Shi*, and Jeehwan Kim*
(revision) 29. "Chip-less wireless electronic skins enabled by epitaxial freestanding compound semiconductors"
Yeongin Kim†, Jun Min Suh†, Yunpeng Liu†, Jiho Shin, Hanwool Yeon, Kuan Qiao, Hyun S. Kum, Chansoo Kim, Han Eol Lee, Chanyeol Choi, Hyunseok Kim, Doyoon Lee, Jaeyong Lee, Ji-Hoon Kang, Sungsu Kang, Jihoon Kim, Sungkyu Kim, Kejia Wang, Yongmo Park, Kumar Kishen, Lingping Kong, Yun Seog Lee, Kyusang Lee, Sang-Hoon Bae, Wei Kong, Jiyeon Han*, and Jeehwan Kim*
28. "Reconfigurable heterogeneous integration using stackable chips with embedded artificial intelligence"
Chanyeol Choi†, Hyunseok Kim†, Ji-Hoon Kang†, Hanwool Yeon†, Celesta S. Chang, Junmin Suh, Jiho Shin, Yeongin Kim, Han Eol Lee, Doyoon Lee, Min-Kyu Song, Jaeyong Lee, Ikbeom Jang, Subeen Pang, Kanghyun Ryu, Sang-Hoon Bae, Yifan Nie, Hyun S. Kum, Huaqiang Wu*, Peng Lin*, and Jeehwan Kim*
Nature Electronics, accepted (2022).
27. "Functional properties of Yttrium Iron Garnett thin films on graphene-coated GGG for remote epitaxial transfer"
S. Leontsev, P. J. Shah, H. S. Kum, J. L. McChesney, F. M. Rodolakis, M. van, Veenendaal, M. Velez, R. Rao, D. Haskel, J. Kim, A. N. Reed, M. R. Page
Journal of Magnetism and Magnetic Materials, 556, 169440 (2022).
26. "Atomic layer-by-layer etching of graphene directly grown on SrTiO3 substrates for high-yield remote epitaxy and lift-off"
Ki Seok Kim†, Ji Eun Kang†, Peng Chen†, Sungkyu Kim, Jongho Ji, Geun Young Yeom*, Jeehwan Kim*, Hyun S. Kum*
APL Materials, 10, 041105 (2022). [*editor's pick, link]
25. "Mid-Infrared Photon Sensing using InGaN/GaN Nanodisks via Intersubband Absorption"
Zhang Xing†, Afroja Akter†, Hyun S. Kum†, Yongmin Baek†, Yong-Ho Ra, Geonwook Yoo, Kyusang Lee, Zetian Mi, and Junseok Heo*
Sci. Rep. 12, 4301 (2022). [link]
24. "Design of p-WSe2/n-Ge Heterojunctions for High-Speed Broadband Photodetectors"
Chan Ho Lee, Youngseo Park, Sukhyeong Youn, Min Jae Yeom, Hyun S. Kum, Jiwon Chang, Junseok Heo, and Geonwook Yoo
Advanced Functional Materials 2107992 (2021). [link]
23. "Van der Waals epitaxy and remote epitaxy of LiNbO3 thin films by pulsed laser deposition"
Ru Jia, Hyun S. Kum, Xin Sun, Yuwei Guo, Baiwei Wang, Peijiao Fang, Jie Jiang, Daniel Gall, Toh-Ming Lu, Morris Washington, Jeehwan Kim, and Jian Shi
J. Vac. Sci. Technol. A 39, 040405 (2021). [link]
22. "Long-term reliable physical health monitoring by sweat pore-inspired perforated electronic skins"
Hanwool Yeon*, Haneol Lee*, Yeongin Kim*, Doyoon Lee, Youngjoo Lee, Jong-Sung Lee, Jiho Shin, Chanyeol Choi, Ji-Hoon Kang, Jun Min Suh, Hyunseok Kim, Hyun S. Kum, Jaeyong Lee, Daeyeon Kim, Kyul Ko, Boo Soo Ma, Peng Lin, Sangwook Han, Sungkyu Kim, Sang-Hoon Bae, Taek-Soo Kim, Min-Chul Park, Young-Chang Joo, Eunjoo Kim, Jiyeon Han, and Jeehwan Kim
Science Advances 7, 27, eabg8459 (2021). [link]
21. "Impact of 2D-3D heterointerface on remote epitaxial interaction through graphene"
Hyunseok Kim, Kuangye Lu, Yunpeng Liu, Hyun S. Kum, Ki Seok Kim, Kuan Qiao, Sang-Hoon Bae, Sangho Lee, You Jin Ji, Ki Hyun Kim, Hanjong Paik, Saien Xie, Heechang Shin, Chanyeol Choi, June Hyuk Lee, Chengye Dong, Joshua A. Robinson, Jae-Hyun Lee, Jong-Hyun Ahn, Geun Young Yeom, Darrell Schlom, Jeehwan Kim
ACS Nano 15, 6, 10587–10596 (2021). [link]
20. “Heterogeneous integration of freestanding epitaxial complex-oxide membranes”
Hyun S. Kum*, Hyungwoo Lee*, Sungkyu Kim*, Shane Lindemann*, Wei Kong, Kuan Qiao, Peng Chen, Julian Irwin, June Hyuk Lee, Saien Xie, Shruti Subramanian, Jaewoo Shim, Sang-Hoon Bae, Chanyeol Choi, Luigi Ranno, Seungju Seo, Sangho Lee, Jackson Bauer, Huashan Li, Kyusang Lee, Joshua A. Robinson, Caroline A. Ross, Darrell G. Schlom, Mark S. Rzchowski, Chang-Beom Eom, and Jeehwan Kim
Nature 578, 75-81 (2020). [link]
19. “Graphene-assisted spontaneous relaxation towards dislocation-free heteroepitaxy”
Sang-Hoon Bae*, Kuangye Lu*, Yimo Han*, Sungkyu Kim*, Kuan Qiao, Chanyeol Choi, Yifan Nie, Hyunseok Kim, Hyun S. Kum, Peng Chen, Wei Kong, Beom-Seok Kang, Chansoo Kim, Jaeyong Lee, Yongmin Baek, Jaewoo Shim, Jinhee Park, Minho Joo, David A. Muller, Kyusang Lee, and Jeehwan Kim
Nature Nanotechnology 15, 272-276 (2020). [link]
18. “Epitaxial growth and layer-transfer techniques for heterogeneous integration of materials for electronic and photonic devices”
Hyun Kum, Doeon Lee, Wei Kong, Yongmo Park, Yunjo Kim, Yongmin Baek, Sang-Hoon Bae, Kyusang Lee, and Jeehwan Kim,
Nature Electronics 2, 439-450 (2019). [link]
17. “Path towards graphene commercialization from lab to market”
Wei Kong, Hyun Kum, Sang-Hoon Bae, Jaewoo Shim, Hyunseok Kim, Lingping Kong, Yuan Meng, Kejia Wang, Chansoo Kim, and Jeehwan Kim
Nature Nanotechnology, 14, 927-938 (2019). [link]
16. “Integration of bulk materials with two-dimensional materials for physical coupling and their applications”
Sang-Hoon Bae, Hyun Kum, Wei Kong, Yunjo Kim, Chanyeol Choi, Byunghun Lee, Peng Lin, Yongmo Park, and Jeehwan Kim
Nature Materials 18, 550-560 (2019). [link]
15. “Improving pseudo-van der Waals epitaxy of self-assembled InAs nanowires on graphene via MOCVD parameter space mapping”
Mohadeseh A Baboli, Michael A Slocum, Hyun Kum, Thomas S Wilhelm, Stephen J Polly, Seth M Hubbard, Parsian K Mohseni
CrystEngComm, 21, 602-615 (2019). [link]
14. “Controlled crack propagation for atomic precision handling of wafer-scale two-dimensional materials”
Jaewoo Shim*, Sang-Hoon Bae*, Wei Kong*, Doyoon Lee*, Kuan Qiao, Daniel Nezich, Yong Ju Park, Ruike Zhao, Suresh Sundaram, Xin Li, Hanwool Yeon, Chanyeol Choi, Hyun Kum, Ruoyu Yue, Guanyu Zhou, Yunbo Ou, Kyusang Lee, Jagadeesh Moodera, Xuanhe Zhao, Jong-Hyun Ahn, Christopher Hinkle, Abdallah Ougazzaden, and Jeehwan Kim
Science 362, 665-670 (2018). [link]
13. “Two-step photon absorption in InP/InGaP quantum dot solar cells"
Hyun Kum, Yushuai Dai, Taketo Aihara, Michael A. Slocum, Takeshi Tayagaki, Anastasiia Fedorenko, Stephen J. Polly, Zachary Bittner, Takeyoshi Sugaya, Seth M. Hubbard
Appl. Phys. Lett. 113, 043902 (2018). [link]
12. “Epitaxial Lift-off (ELO) of InGaP/GaAs/InGaAs solar cells with quantum dots in GaAs middle sub-cell”
Sudersena Rao Tatavarti, Zachary S Bittner, A Wibowo, Michael A Slocum, George Nelson, Hyun Kum, S Phillip Ahrenkiel, Seth M Hubbard
Sol. Energy Mater Sol. Cells 185, 153 (2018). [link]
11. “Recent progress in Van der Waals (vdW) heterojunction-based electronic and optoelectronic devices”
Jaewoo Shim, Dong-Ho Kang, Yunjo Kim, Hyun Kum, Wei Kong, Sang-Hoon Bae, Ibraheem Almansouri, Kyusang Lee, Jin-Hong Park, Jeehwan Kim
Carbon 133, 78 (2018). [link]
2009 - 2017
10. “Wafer-scale Thermodynamically Stable GaN Nanorods via Two-Step Self-Limiting Epitaxy for Optoelectronic Applications”
Hyun Kum, Han-Kyu Seong, Wantae Lim, Daemyung Chun, Geonwook Yoo, Yong-il Kim, Yongsoo Park
Sci. Rep., 7, 40893 (2017).
9. “SiO2 nanohole arrays with high aspect ratio for InGaN/GaN nanorod-based phosphor-free white light-emitting-diodes”
Wantae Lim, Hyun Kum, Young-Jin Choi, Sung-Hyun Sim, Ji-Hye Yeon, Jung-Sub Kim, Han-Kyu Seong, Nam-Goo Cha, Yong-Il Kim, Young-Soo Park, Geonwook Yoo, Stephen J Pearton
J. Vac. Sci. Technol. B 34, 042204 (2016).
8. “Dependence of reverse bias leakage on depletion width and v-pit size in InGaN/GaN light-emitting diodes grown on silicon”
Hyun Kum, Mihyun Kim, Dong-gun Lee, Yongjo Tak, Jongsun Maeng, Joosung Kim, Gilho Gu, Joong Jung Kim, Yongil Kim, Jun-Youn Kim, Youngsoo Park
J. Vac. Sci. Technol. B 33, 060602 (2015).
7. “Spin diffusion in bulk GaN measured with MnAs spin injector”
Shafat Jahangir, Fatih Dogan, Hyun Kum, Aurelien Manchon, and Pallab Bhattacharya
Phys. Rev. B 86, 035315 (2012).
6. “Room temperature single GaN nanowire spin valves with FeCo/MgO tunnel contacts”
Hyun Kum, Junseok Heo, Shafat Jahangir, Animesh Banerjee, Wei Guo, and Pallab Bhattacharya
Appl. Phys. Lett. 100, 182407 (2012).
5. “Gate control and amplification of magnetoresistance in a three-terminal device”
Hyun Kum, Shafat Jahangir, Debashish Basu, Dipankar Saha, and Pallab Bhattacharya
Appl. Phys. Lett. 99, 152503 (2011).
4. “Magnetoresistance of lateral semiconductor spin valves”
Abu Zainuddin, Hyun Kum, Debashish Basu, Srikant Srinivasan, Lutfe Siddiqui, Pallab Bhattacharya, and Supriyo Datta
J. Appl. Phys. 108, 123913 (2010).
3. “Characteristics of a high temperature vertical spin valve”
Debashish Basu, Hyun Kum, Pallab Bhattacharya, and Dipankar Saha
Appl. Phys. Lett. 97, 2505 (2010).
2. “Electric field control of magnetoresistance in a lateral InAs quantum well spin valve”
Hyun Kum, Debahsish Basu, Pallab Bhattacharya, and Wei Guo
Appl. Phys. Lett. 95, 2503 (2009).
1. “Epitaxial growth and characterization of MnAs on InP and In0.53Ga0.47As”
Debashish Basu, Pallab Bhattacharya, Wei Guo, and Hyun Kum
J. Phys. D 42, 092001 (2009).
* = equal contribution
17. (invited) Hyun S. Kum, Jeehwan Kim, "Remote-epitaxy of Complex-oxides", MMM-Intermag, New Orleans LA, January 2022.
16. (invited) Hyun S. Kum, Jeehwan Kim, "Remote epitaxy of Complex-oxides", MRS Fall Meeting, Boston MA December 2021.
15. (invited) Hyun S. Kum, Jeehwan Kim, “Remote epitaxy of complex-oxide single-crystalline membranes” 12th Recent Progress in Graphene and Two-dimensional Materials Research Conference, Yonsei University, South Korea, October 2021.
14. Geoffrey K Bradshaw, Mitsul Kacharia, Emily Kessler-Lewis, David Wilt, Stephen J Polly, Colin J Mann, Hyunseong Kum, Seth M Hubbard, “Investigation of Radiative Coupling from InGaAsP Quantum Wells for Improved End-of-Life (EOL) Efficiency in Multijunction Solar Cells”, 2019 IEEE 46th Photovoltaic Specialists Conference (PVSC) Chicago, IL, June 2019.
13. Hyuna Jung, Hyun Kum, Jinyoung Hwang, “Band Alignment Transition from Type I to Type II of InP/In0.48Ga0.52P quantum Dots,” TENCON Jeju, Korea, October 2018.
12. Ruizhe Yao, Bowen Zheng, Hyun Kum, Yunjo Kim, Sanghoon Bae, Jeehwan Kim, Hualiang Zhang, and Wei Guo, “Graphene/III-V Hybrid Diode Optical Modulator” CLEO San Jose, CA, May 2018.
11. Seth M. Hubbard, Hyun Kum, Yushuai Dai, Zachary Bittner, “Application of InP quantum dots toward high-temperature intermediate-band solar-cell operation” SPIE Photonics West, San Francisco CA, January 2018.
10. Mohadeseh Asadolahi-Baboli, Michael A. Slocum, Alessandro Giussani, Thomas S. Wilhelm, Hyun Kum, Seth M. Hubbard, and Parsian Katal Mohseni, "Parameter Space Mapping of InAsP Nanowire Arrays on Graphene, h-BN and MoS2 Monolayers—Toward Selective Area van der Waals Epitaxy" 59th Electronic Materials Conference, South Bend IN, June 2017.
9. Hyun Kum, Michael Slocum, Yushuai Dai, Zachary Bittner, Seth Hubbard, "Type-II InP Quantum Dots Grown by MOCVD for Intermediate Band Solar Cell Applications" 44th IEEE Photovoltaics Conference, Washington DC, June 2017.
8. Zachary S. Bittner, Hyun Kum, Michael A. Slocum, George T. Nelson, Rao Tatavarti, Andree Wibowo, Seth M. Hubbard, "Integration of Quantum Dots and Quantum Wells into InGaAs Metamorphic Subcell for Radiation Hard 3-J ELO IMM Photovoltaics" 44th IEEE Photovoltaics Conference, Washington DC, June 2017.
7. Yushuai Dai, Brittany L Smith, Micheal A Slocum, Zachary S Bittner, Hyun Kum, Seth M Hubbard, "Temperature and voltage bias dependent two step photon absorption in InAs/GaAs/Al0.3GaAs quantum dot in a well solar cells" 44th IEEE Photovoltaics Conference, Washington DC, June 2017.
6. Yushuai Dai, Hyun Kum, Micheal A Slocum, Seth M Hubbard, "Over 30% efficiency single-junction photovoltaic devices under low intensity light illumination" 44th IEEE Photovoltaics Conference, Washington DC, June 2017.
5. Mohadeseh Asadolahi-Baboli, Michael A. Slocum, Alessandro Giussani, Thomas S. Wilhelm, Hyun Kum, Seth M. Hubbard, and Parsian Katal Mohseni, "Selective-area van der Walls epitaxy of InAsP nanowires on two-dimensional nanosheets: III-V integration on graphene, h-HN, and MoS2" 10th Nanowire week, Lund Sweden, May 2017.
4. Seth Hubbard, Michael Slocum, Zac Bittner, Hyun Kum, Rao Tatavarti, “Bandgap Engineering and Radiation Effects in Nanostructured Multijunction Solar Cells.” International Semiconductor Device Research Symposium, Bethesda MD, December 2016.
3. Hyun Kum, Shafat Jahangir, Junseok Heo, Animesh Banerjee, Wei Guo, and Pallab Bhattacharya, “Single GaN nanowire spin valves with FeCo/MgO tunnel contacts,” Electronic Materials Conference, University Park, State College PA, June 2012.
2. Debashish Basu, Hyun Kum, Wei Guo, and Pallab Bhattacharya, “Properties of MnAs/GaMnAs/MnAs magnetic multilayers and their application to high temperature vertical spin valves,” Electronic Materials Conference, University of Notre Dame, Indiana, 2010.
1. Hyun Kum, Debashish Basu, Pallab Bhattacharya, and Wei Guo, “Electrical control of Magnetoresistance in a InP-based lateral spin valve with a two-dimensional electron gas (2-DEG) channel,” APS March Meeting, Portland OR, March 2010.
5. Jun Youn Kim, Hyun Seong Kum, Young Hwan Park. Display panels and multivision apparatuses (Patent Granted July 2, 2019, US Patent 10,338,876): Display technology combining LED pixels and conventional LCD/OLED technology for bezel-less integration of multi-display units.
4. Jae Hyeok Heo, Jin Sub Lee, Young Jin Choi, Hyun Seong Kum, Ji Hye Yeon, Dae Myung Chun, Jung Sub Kim, Han Kyu Seong. Method of manufacturing nano-structure semiconductor light emitting diode (Patent granted December 12, 2017, US Patent 9,842,960): Optimum design of nanorods LEDs for uniform active region in a core-shell nanorod LED.
3. Hyun Seong Kum, Dae Myung Chun, Ji Hye Yeon, Han Kyu Seong, Jin Sub Lee, Young Jin Choi, Jae Hyeok Heo. Semiconductor light emitting device and manufacturing method of the same (Patent granted March 14, 2017, US Patent 9,595,637): Method of growing uniform GaN nanorods with uniform hexagonal pyramid tips.
2. Dae Myung Chun, Ji Hye yeon, Jae Hyeok Heo, Hyun Seong Kum, Han Kyu Seong, Young Jin choi. Semiconductor light emitting device and manufacturing method thereof (Patent granted January 24, 2017, US Patent 9,553,235): Method of epitaxially growing uniform core-shell GaN nanorods.
1. Nam Goo Cha, Hyun Seong Kum, Ju Bin Seo, Dong Hoon Lee. Nanostructure semiconductor light emitting device (Patent granted October 4, 2016, US Patent 9,461,205): Method of reducing leakage current and improve light output by etching the top portion of nanorod LEDs.